A Healthier Version of Gumbo that does NOT lose it’s taste or flavor!
- 2/3 cup of Sprouted Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup of Red Palm Oil (you can use Extra Virgin Olive Oil but the Red Palm is AMAZING)
- 3 to 4 cooked chicken breasts- chopped
- 4 links of good cooked Andouille sausage (I used Trader Joe’s chicken sausage)- chopped
- 16 oz bag of frozen okra (I’ve added more)
- 2 bell peppers- chopped
- 1 large onion- chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic- chopped
- 8 cups of fat free chicken broth
- Cajun seasoning to taste (I add about 2 to 3 tbsp.)
- Salt to taste
- 2 to 3 tsp of File’ powder
- Boil chicken breasts if you do not have any cooked chicken available. Chop, set aside.
- Chop all the vegetables. Set aside.
- Heat a big soup pot on medium high heat. Add in your red palm oil and flour. Mix together.
- Continue to stir while the flour cooks. You want to cook the flour until it is a rich dark brown.
- Add the chopped vegetables all at once and stir.
- Cook until the vegetables are slightly tender. About 10 minutes.
- Add in the spices. Mix.
- Add the chicken broth.
- Next add in the sausage and the okra. Allow this to boil, then turn down to a simmer.
- Add the File’ powder.
- Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Add the chicken. Allow to continue to simmer until all the flavors have blended well.
- Using Sprouted Whole Wheat Flour will keep this Trim Healthy Mama friendly. And because this serves so many, you should have less than 5 carbs per bowl.
- Serving Size: 10