Hey y’all! I live down here in the south in the Hill Country of Texas. But growing up my husband and I both lived near Galveston, Texas. We had ample amounts of seafood. Shrimp & crawfish were a huge part of our life. Even though we have moved away from the coast we still love all things seafood.
Although this recipe is only has chicken in it this would be wonderful with shrimp or crawfish. Just getting that out there because had I had either one of those on hand I would have made this recipe with them!
This recipe is fairly easy. And if you are a Trim Healthy Mama, this recipe can really fit into any category because it is low fat. If you want to leave off the brown rice and add in some sausage you will turn this into an S. If you want to keep the rice out completely & put over zoodles or even the THM Not-So-Naughty-Noodles (which you can purchase here from my affiliate link, you will have an FP and more of a soup. But if you add this over the brown rice you will have a thicker jambalaya!
Add that yummy Louisiana Sauce on top…
Hope you enjoy! 🙂Print
A Chicken Jambalaya that will fit into any category for the THMER.
- Three cooked chicken breasts chopped into chunks
- 6 cups of fat free, low sodium chicken broth (depending on how soupy you want it)
- 1 onion chopped
- 7 tbsps. of Tomato Paste
- 4 celery stalks sliced down the middle and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 tbsp. of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 – 4 tsp Creole or Cajun seasoning (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp of salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp. olive oil or red palm oil (for sautéing vegetables)
- 4 cups of cooked brown rice (for on E)
- 2 cups of cooked andouille sausage (for an S leaving off the rice)
- 2 cups of zucchini noodles or Not-So-Naughty-Noodles (for an FP leaving off the rice and the sausage)
- Cook the chicken breasts and chop into chunks.
- Set aside.
- In a big pot add a little olive oil or red palm oil and sautee’ the chopped vegetables for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add in all the seasonings and the tomato paste.
- Mix and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the chicken broth & Worcestershire Sauce and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cook the brown rice if doing that option.
- Add in the cooked chopped chicken last and allow everything to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Put over brown rice (for an E).
- Add a couple dashes of Louisiana Sauce to the top.
- Serving Size: 8
What’s andoille sauce?
Ooops… I meant sausage… corrected that! 😉
SO incredibly good!!! I am at the tail end of a fuel cycle and am so glad I found this recipe to end my last FP day! Thank you so much for the great idea to put zucchini noodles instead of rice, SUPERB! Really I can’t rave enough! I have only had jambalaya a few times in my life, once in Louisiana so I may not be the best judge but this was great! Thank you!
Awesome to hear this!! 🙂
LK Brown says
I really LOOOOVE your THM recipes, especially the mexican ones. They are always the best. This one caught my eye too. Probably because I grew up in LaPorte Texas!! We could see Galvaston Bay from the bay where I lived. Keep on bloggin!
I lived my childhood near Galveston! Lots of memories!
Paula Anderson says
This is a staple meal in our house. It’s SO good! Thanks for the recipe.
Cheryl Rizzuto says
My favorite recipe of yours is Orange Chicken. My whole family enjoys it! I just wish oranges were cheaper in the summer. I stock up in winter while they are less expensive.
Making this as a FP, but planning an E option later in the week.. I had andouilli chicken sausage and chicken breast, still keeps in FP.. added some dehydrated zucchini and okra to thicken