My mom always made stuffed bell peppers for us when I was growing up. She added a can of cream of mushroom soup and white rice to her meat mixture. I was thinking of a good way to utilize bell peppers because they are soon to be in season. And just a great vegetable! But since I really like cooking from scratch AND I am making things the Trim Healthy Mama way, I knew canned cream of mushroom soup was out along with white rice. Had to rework the recipe and this is what I came up with. I have to say this might be one of my most favorite creations!!! All my kids ate it without complaint and even asked for seconds. My husband said it was “DELICIOUS”… yay for another successful recipe & it’s TRIM HEALTHY MAMA approved!!
An absolutely delicious stuffed pepper recipe!
- 4 large bell peppers, cut in half, insides removed
- 2 lbs ground meat (I used ground beef)
- 2 cups of chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 can of rotel tomatoes
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) of butter
- 1 package of reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese (Or more)
- Seasoning of choice-
- 1 tsp onion powder, garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of water
- Brown the ground beef.
- Chop the mushrooms, onion, & garlic.
- Add vegetables to browned meat.
- Add butter & cream cheese. Stir together.
- Add seasonings and rotel.
- Add water.
- Clean and cut bell peppers.
- Remove insides and fill with meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese
- Bake for 30-40 minutes on 400 degrees.
- I had left over meat mixture so this could actually make 10 to 12 stuffed bell peppers.
- Serving Size: 8