Y’all this soup is yummy! If you don’t know it by now, I LOVE Mexican Food!
Seriously! If you have see any of my menu posts you know that we have Mexican food probably 4 or 5 times a week. Maybe it’s a Texan thing, but I cannot get away from it!!
So this soup… it is YUM, it is easy to make, and it’s a one pot dish!
It’s sooooo versatile too! If you make it as the recipe states then you are making a low fat, THM FP meal!
If you add cheese, sour cream, avocado then you have an S meal!
If you add a little Greek Yogurt, some brown rice, blue corn tortilla chips & salsa, then you have an E!!
Of course, I like it with the works!
You could even make this in a slowcooker by simply adding all the ingredients in a crockpot and cooking on medium for 6-8 hours!
If you are wanting more yummy TexMex recipes go check out my friend Teresia at Nana’s Little Kitchen!
Here is a link to her Chicken Enchilada Skillet
Here is a link to my Chicken Enchiladas!
**Check out the beautiful serving SLATE!! Isn’t that incredibly beautiful??!! Please go check out SlatePlate.com !!! These slates are absolutely perfect for serving an appetizer on or making a beautiful statement for dinner! They are also handcrafted in the USA!Print
Chicken Enchilada Soup (THM FP)
An easy, yummy, one-pot Texmex soup that is sure to please!
- 3 large chicken breast chopped in small bites
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 an onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 cups of frozen okra
- 10 cups of fat free chicken broth
- 2 small 6 oz cans of tomato paste
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup of chili powder (start small and see if you can handle more after it’s cooked)
- 1 tbsp. of cumin powder
- 1–2 tsp of mineral salt or salt to taste
- 1 tsp of pepper
- **Optional 1 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese mixed into soup (if going for an S)
- In a big pot put the oil on medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion & garlic and cook.
- Add in the chopped chicken and cook.
- Add in the okra and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add in the spices and mix well.
- Add the chicken broth.
- Allow to simmer until vegetables are cooked through.
- If you are going for an S then you can add the cheese at the end.
- If you are going for an E or FP keep the cheese off and top with cilantro or greek yogurt or blue corn tortilla chips or salsa or brown rice.
- S toppings- more cheese, avocado, cilantro, salsa.
- Serving Size: 6
Melody Spence says
Looks wonderful! Just curious for the DH sake. Does the tomato paste cause the okra to not be slimy?? He can’t stand it so I usually cook it way down when using it.
I don’t think this is slimy at all… but you could leave it out for sure! It just helps to thicken it up… also you could just add more cheese! 🙂
Just made the soup and I can’t wait to try it out. The okra seems just fine in it.
Could I blend in the okra to hide it? My children! 😉
Sarah Criddle says
Yep sure can!
Jeanine Shosa says
What would be a good substitute for the okra. Husband doing THM but can’t stand the okra.
You could leave them out and just add more cheese and more onion!
Mine doesn’t look as thick as yours. Did you purée your okra?
No… I left it whole. Maybe let it cook a little longer to thicken it up.
Is the chili powder a packet? When I think chili powder I think the stuff in the spice isle. What do you use? Also, if my okra is whole should I dice it up? or leave it the whole big okra pieces?
Yes it’s a spice! I would definitely cut up the okra!
With the weather getting cooler this will be a great addition to our menu. Thank you for creating delicious recipes for us to enjoy and share with our families. You have been on my mind a lot lately and I have been praying for you.
Thank you so much for your prayers! I needed them at that time. Thank you for being sensitive to the Spirit! <3
Do you add the tomato sauce with the spices?
Yes that works fine!
Have you tried this in crock pot? Thinking of using whole chicken breasts then shredding after cooked
Yes, I have made this many times in a crockpot.