Here is my updated version of this yummy dish! I LOVE orange chicken at restaurant but they are full of sugar and don’t fit well in my Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle.
With this recipe I keep it in an E setting but it’s moist and full of flavor!
Picture time… it’s so pretty!
I started with cooking my brown rice. I made 4 cups of brown rice. Y’all should get a rice cooker if you don’t have one! It really does make life easy!! Mine was actually my grandmother’s and I think it is at least 25 years old! Still works like a charm!!
Add the sauce ingredients to the juice.
Cut up 2 big chicken breasts into bite sized pieces and place into a big pot. Chop and onion and 3 cloves of garlic. Add to the pot. Cook on medium heat until done. Once the chicken is cooked add the juice mixture to the chicken and allow to simmer for 30 minutes on low heat.
Add the cooked rice into the dish.
DONE! Now I LOVE LOVE mine with chopped green onions or chives on top! It’s light and a perfect E!
A great lite dish that’s full of flavor!
- 2 large chicken breast
- 4 LARGE Oranges juiced (strain to keep the seeds out)
- 4 cups of cooked brown rice
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 3 tbsp. liquid Bragg’s aminos (to replace soy sauce)
- 1 tsp ginger (ground)
- 1 tsp garlic powder (ground)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A dropper full of KAL Liquid Stevia (or your favorite sweetener to taste 1 to 2 tsps.)
- Cut up the chicken into bite sized bits.
- Cook the rice.
- Cook chicken, onion and garlic in a big pot on medium heat.
- Juice 4 LARGE oranges and strain to remove seeds.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (not rice) to the juice of the oranges.
- Pour mixture over cooked chicken, garlic and onions.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Once rice is cooked add the rice to the chicken mixture and mix.
- If the mixture is too dry add a little chicken broth or water (mine was not dry because I used large oranges).
- *optional- add chopped green onions or chives to the top.
- Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 4